It often happens that players want to move a game from Epic Games to Steam. This may be due to many reasons, such as easier access to the game, a larger player community on Steam, or simply preferences in using the platform. In this article, we will present step by step how to move a game from Epic Games to Steam and whether it is possible if the game has DRM protections.
Preparing for the Secret Operation
- Check if the game is available on Steam. Before starting the process of transferring the game from Epic Games to Steam, you need to check if the game is available on the Steam platform. Not all games that are available on Epic Games are also available on Steam. You can check this by searching for the game name on Steam or by comparing the list of games available on both platforms.
- Find the game files. After confirming that the game is available on Steam, you need to find the game files on your hard drive. To do this, go to the folder where the game is installed on the Epic Games Store.
- Copy the game files. After finding the game files on your hard drive, you need to copy them to the folder where you want to move the game on Steam. To do this, open the game folder on the Epic Games Store and copy all the files to the new folder on Steam.
- Add the game to the Steam library. After copying the game files to the Steam folder, you need to add the game to the Steam library. To do this, open the Steam application, click on the “+ Add Game” button in the lower-left corner of the screen, and then select “Add a Non-Steam Game.”
- Choose the game files folder. After selecting the option “Add a Non-Steam Game,” you need to select the folder where the game files you previously copied are located. Steam will automatically recognize the files and add the game to the library.
Can you transfer a game if it has DRM protection?
Can you transfer a game if it has DRM protection? For games that have DRM protection, transferring the game from Epic Games to Steam may be difficult or even impossible. DRM-protected games require special license keys that are linked to the account on the platform where they were purchased. For games with DRM protection, transferring the game from Epic Games to Steam may only be possible if the license key is compatible with the Steam platform. In such cases, you should contact the publisher. Transferring a game to another platform may violate the license terms, which means that transferring the game without the consent of the publisher or game developer would be illegal.
Some DRM-protected games, such as Ubisoft or EA games, are distributed on both Epic Games Store and Steam. In this case, players can use external library features to transfer games between platforms. One such program is GOG Galaxy 2.0, which allows the integration of libraries from different platforms. This makes it easy and quick to transfer games between platforms without the need for additional tools.
In summary, transferring a game from Epic Games to Steam is possible for games that do not have DRM protection or are distributed on both platforms. For games with DRM protection, transferring the game to another platform may be difficult or even impossible. In such cases, you should contact the publisher.